Nicole's Art Page

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Trip to the High!


The High Museum

Your favorite work of art.
· “Wind from the Sea”, 1947 by Andrew Wyeth; located in the Cousins Family Special Exhibition Galleries on the 2nd level

A work of art that you like but would not take home.
· “Marilyn Portfolio” , 1967 by Andy Warhol; located in the Contemporary Art section on the Skyway level

A work of art that taught you something you did not know.
· “The Fire Next Time”, 1989 by Alfredo Jaar; located in the Irene and Howard Stein Gallery on the 3rd level.

A work of art that felt sad to you.
· “Public Sale” , 1943 by Andrew Wyeth; located in the Cousins Family Special Exhibition Galleries on the 2nd level
· “Results of Poor Housing”, 1942 by Hale Woodruff; located in the Jacqueline and Matt Frielander Gallery on the 3rd level

A work of art that identifies a historic moment in time.
· “Taylor Washington Arrested at Leb’s Delicatessen, Atlanta, GA”, 1964
by Danny Lyon; located in the Fred and Rita Richman Gallery on the Lower Level
· “Arresting Demonstrators, Birmingham, May 1963” by Bruce Davidson; located in the Fred and Rita Richman Gallery on the Lower Level

A work of art that reminded you of something or someone in life.
· “Storm Passing”, 1987 by April Gornik
· “Untitled (Cadmium)” 1984 by Jean-Michel Basquiat

A work of art that shocked you.
· “Figures on the Beach, Provincetown”, 1916 by B.J.O Nordfelt; located in the Fred and Rita Richman Gallery on the Lower Level
· “The Flag Waver”, 1970 by Ned Cartledge; located in the Fay S. and Barrett Howell Gallery
Folk and Contemporary Art Galleries

The folk art gallery was very different from the rest of the museum. A lot of the artwork was very colorful and vibrant. The art in the Folk art gallery was mostly produced by people who had little or no training in the formal arts. A lot of the pieces were random objects that were decorated and turned into unbelievable creations. I noticed that a lot of the artwork seemed very child-like. This might be because of the vast amount of colors that were used. Some of the art in the Folk Art gallery also conveyed messages to the viewers. It was very interesting. I much preferred this gallery to the Contemporary gallery.

I was not too fond of the contemporary gallery. I thought that a lot of the pieces there was just nonsense. I was trying to understand how some of the artists actually got people to believe that what they “created” was art. For instance, when you walk into the Contemporary Gallery and turn left there are about 16 panes of glass just leaning against the wall; I could not figure out what message the artist was trying to express by creating this. Some of the works were very nice however. I was really surprised to see Andy Warhol and Basquiat in the museum. I think they were both very interesting artists but I have never wanted to own any of their work myself. Like I mentioned before my overall impression of the Contemporary Gallery was not the good.
My Meaningful Experience
I don’t know if I can recall any one experience that was meaningful to me during my visit at the High. I really did enjoy looking at the different types of artwork from around the world and created by the different types of people. I think that there are probably two different instances that do stick out in my mind from my visit. That would be seeing the work of Andrew Wyeth and seeing an actual piece created by Jean Michel Basquiat.
When I first walked into the gallery that housed Wyeth’s artwork I was actually blown away. I think he is truly talented and amazing. His paintings actually tell a story; I’m sure it’s not the same for everyone, but I do believe that when you look at his paintings you are left wondering. My favorite of his is “Wind from the Sea”. I absolutely loved it; I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite as beautiful. I would love to own a copy of that particular painting to put in my home. The other works were also wonderful, including “Public Sale”, which still gives me goose bumps.
I was very excited as I walked through the Contemporary gallery and turned the corner and saw one of Basquiat’s pieces. I was shocked, I just couldn’t believe it. I saw a film based on the life of Basquiat years ago when I was younger. From watching the film I could tell that he would have accomplished a great deal had he not died an untimely death. I have always wanted to see what his actual work looked like so I was very happy to see it hanging in the High.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home